Working Papers

Getting a first job is an important and exciting step!

If you are under 18, you will need documents called Working Papers to start working.  Please note important changes below that will be in effect on June 1, 2023.

How to Get Working Papers until May 25, 2023.

Click here to download and print the required form.

Hillsborough schools will be closed May 26 through May 31, 2023

Paper copies are available in the Upstairs Counseling Office.
  1. Complete these sections before submitting your forms to HHS:

    Section A - Applicant will complete this section; parent signature is required.
    Section B - Applicant will have this section completed by the employer.
    Section C - Applicant will have this section completed by their Physician.
    Section E - Fill in last grade COMPLETED
    Section F - Student should sign
  2. Email the form (with sections A-F completed as described above) and a copy of proof of age (birth certificate or passport) to Mrs. McClaughry at [email protected].  You can also bring your documents to Mrs. McClaughry in the upstairs counseling office.

  3. Mrs. McClaughry will certify the documents and return them to the student.

PLEASE NOTE: In accordance with the NJ Department of Education papers must be completed in their entirety. Incomplete submissions can be rejected by the Department of Labor. It is the applicant's responsibility to fulfill the requirements of the Certification form.  APPLICANTS MAY NOT BEGIN WORK UNTIL THE APPLICATION HAS BEEN PROCESSED.

How to Get Working Papers Effective June 1, 2023

The NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development announced on May 10, 2023, that working papers for minors will go digital on JUNE 1, 2023. Schools will no longer administer working papers applications.  Go to to get started!